Hello from Ontario

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chick-a-roo, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Chick-a-roo

Chick-a-roo New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    Hello fellow poultry peeps! I absolutely love this site - so incredibly informative. I have finally come out of lurking, which admittedly has been for almost 2 years!! You have all helped me through so much with regards to beginning my chicken hobby. I began with 4 ready-to-lay red sex-link hens in April 2012 and it has continued on from there. I now have 5 hens... after one of my originals became egg-bound and subsequently died mid-summer shortly after I got her, I ordered 2 more pullet day-old chicks that I raised to add to my laying flock. How fun are chicks, eh?! [​IMG]((ha ha - notice how I inserted the good ol' Canadian-'eh' tag ;) ) I also adopted an 8 week old Brahma banty baby roo at around that time to help keep my hens safe from predators as they free range our country property. He does a good job, but he's prettier than he is personable. I was hoping for a friendlier-to-people bird, but at least he's not aggressive.
    I also do my own meat chickens, Cornish x. I am currently on my fourth batch; I do a spring and a fall batch. My current babies are 5 days old and growing like weeds. Tonight for dinner is a nice 7 pounder from my last batch! Ha!
    So that is me in a nutshell. Oh, I am happily married with 2 young boys - 7 & 5, but they're not as important as my birds!! [​IMG]
    Looking forward to chatting with all of you experts. I was a Vet-tech in my previous life, but with having worked only on the companion animal side of things, I can only do so much with that. I am getting my poultry education online through reliable resources like BYC.com and YouTube [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan, glad you joined in [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC and good luck with your many poultry ventures.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Chick-a-roo

Chick-a-roo New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcomes [​IMG] I also wanted to add that I have a question regarding one of my hens. If you could kindly read my other post and give me some opinions, I would truly appreciate it! Thanks

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by