Hello from Ontario

RisingMoonFarm

Chirping
7 Years
May 17, 2015
Isle of Skye
Hello everybody, I have been reading the forum for a while and finally decided to join. I'm excited to be part of the community, thank you for having me!

I am fairly new to poultry and have had some Chantecler chickens (6 hens and their gentlemanly rooster) and Plain Roman geese since last fall - used to be a trio, but I had to get a second gander in spring, so I have two pairs now. Love them and it's so nice to have our own eggs. Here are some pictures:

I just joined today after being on this site too many times to count, lol. Beautiful birds! Do ya'll have to put a heater in ya'lls coop, in the winter, due to the cold?

No heater, I even left the door open during the day. The chickens weren't happy about walking in the snow, so I put straw down for them and they would come out as long as it wasn't too cold or snowing. The geese went "swimming" in the snow ;).

Chanteclers are a Canadian heritage breed, so they fare well in the cold. As far as I have learned, the most important thing is to keep the coop well ventilated without being drafty to keep the moisture from building up, which could lead to frost bite and mite infections.

We did well over the winter, even in -30C/-20F weather, although everybody was really happy to have the snow gone! It was a joy to see the chickens out scratching and pecking and the geese swimming in the little snow melt ponds we get all over the property.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome, so glad you decided to join our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
Wow! Your flock is so lovely.
thumbsup.gif
What a lovely white they are! I also LOVE your avatar! Such beautiful eggs.

Good luck with your flock and feel free to ask any questions. Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom