Hello from Oregon! & introducing new babies

SleepyBeeHollowPeepers

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Hi Friends!
We have a small flock of chickens, and this spring one of the Buff Orps went broody, and hatched 6 eggs ten days ago. We would like more babies and purchased week old chicks (today) , ameraucanas, and want to introduce them to the mama hen and her six. Can we successfully do this if we put them in the box at night? Mama and babies are separate from the rest of the flock, (six other hens and a rooster) but can see and hear each other through the wire. Any suggestions or tips for introducing the newest babies? I'm hoping I don't have to brood them separately....Thanks!

dancegirl2.gif

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. That's a hard one. It may or may not work. It depends on the hen. What breed is she? You might want to post this question under Raising baby chicks. You might get more responses there.
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Sometimes I've had success and other times not. Try at night but be sure and watch, see if she notices, and then be out there very early in the morning too, if all goes well at night.

Best of luck!!

Hello from Hillsboro!

I'd keep a close eye when introducing them without the wire. They may pick at each other and if it gets too bad, they should be re-separated, so doing it at night when you're asleep may not be the best idea. The cooler, darker part of the idea was pretty good though. The darkness may make them less energetic, and less likely to pick at each other above and beyond establishing the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom