Hello from Oxford, MI

DanielOrr

Hatching
Jul 3, 2016
Hello everyone. I'm an avid gardener and father of three living in Oxford Township, Michigan. I'd love to raise chickens on our 1/2 acre, but there may be problems with zoning ordinances. Does anyone know what the regulations are currently? I've heard that Right to Farm protection wouldn't apply to our situation. Any ideas/suggestions of how to proceed would be highly appreciated!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Sorry I don't know the regulations but, you could call or visit your township hall. You could also join your state thread, to see if you can rally other chickeners around you to try for a variance in restrictions. Hope you will be able to have chickens.

Hi and welcome! The threads shared by Yorkshire Coop are a great start. Many towns also have their codes available online. The city nearest me (I live outside city limits now) includes chickens and all other livestock in their animal ordinances just the same as pets. You could try a call to animal control, or city hall to see how to find the codes if you don't find them online. Sometimes they are also available at a local library. Good luck! I hope you have no problems having some chickens!

Hey Daniel... I was just browsing some of the threads and found this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/182280/michigan-right-to-farm-law-what-does-it-mean I think it may help you. I have family in Michigan, so was curious
wink.png
Anyhow, lots of great info.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I hope the ordinances are in your favour!

Back
Top Bottom