Hello from PA

shortstaque

Songster
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
Bucks County, PA
Hello out there,

I've been lurking since I decided to get chicks in the late spring and finally decided to join so I could get some feedback. We started with a variety of day old chicks that arrived the first week of June. I wanted to try a bunch of different heritage breeds so that I could figure out which ones I like the best and have a nice colorful box of eggs sometime in the not too distant future. (They are approaching 17 weeks so I'm getting really excited awaiting that first egg.) Ended up with 2 each of these breeds: Ancona, Andalusian, Australorps, Faverolles, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Columbian Wyandottes, Dominiques, Silver Cuckoo Marans, Welsummer, Rhode Island Reds, Speckled Sussex, and for the colorful eggs I got 3 Easter Eggers.

That makes 25 chicks. What was I thinking?
lol.png

I really wanted them to be pastured so my hubby and I set about making a chicken tractor. In case you are wondering it was a big project. Remember we're talking it needed enough space for 25 laying hens. It took us the better part of 3 months to get it on the road. But thats a story for another day. For over a week now they have been in the tractor with a fresh run of grass every day. They are sooo pleased!!!
celebrate.gif

We are on a 1.2 acre lot inside town limits. A little house with a big garden and yard. Thought some laying hens would be a nice addition. A few eggs. A lot of fertilizer. Didn't count on all these roosters. Chicken sexer was having an off day.
barnie.gif
Looks like we have 6 roos and counting. 5 o'clock wake-up calls weren't what we were bargaining for. I'll be posting another thread asking for some advice to confirm my suspicions before I get in touch with the hatchery for my "big" refund.

So far we're really enjoying watching what we refer to as "chicken tv". Can't believe what distinct personalities they have!!!

HI! welcome! I would love to see some pictures of the chicken tractor! We are going to start on one soon ourselves. I figure they can weed and fertilize for the spring garden plot for me!
big_smile.png

I wish you could keep your roos! I have one Australorp and he is such a nice guy. handsome and sweet. ...but he crows! my, my- he can belt it out!
I have 23 hens, and even though after one year of laying we have gone over 4000 eggs, we are not buried in them.
I am glad you have joined!
wink.png

...and when the eggs do start to pile up, the dogs love them! less feed to buy.

Thanks for the welcome 3goodeggs. Heres a picture of the tractor. Eventually I will post more pictures of it in action on the coops page.
68803_chicken_tractor_week_one_003.jpg

The tractor is in two parts that can be used independently, say hens in the mobile coop (the red part), and meat birds in the mobile run (shown in the foreground) or used together as they are here so there is more area. The coop and run together have 60 sq feet indoors and 100 sq feet outdoors. 6 nesting boxes. 20 feet of perch inside and 10 feet of perch outside. Eggs can be collected from outside. The food and water can be changed from the outside as well. Right now I have it set up so the portable run rotates to a new position around the coop for fresh grass each day. After 8 days the whole thing moves 20 feet down the yard/garden and starts all over again.

BTW I designed it so the footprint fits on my raised garden beds which are 5 x 20 feet each. I'm hoping to use the tractor to create new beds as well.

*updated coop pics https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=68803-the-chicken-tractor

Last edited:
Quote:
COOL! I would expect that to take three months! Good job to Mr. Hubby!
thumbsup.gif

It took mine three months also. It took him about 30 minutes to get set up with all the tools...then the rain would start. It was the wettest spring we ever had.
hu.gif
We could go around to drought stricken areas and build coops.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom