1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Hello from PA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Malissa, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Malissa

Malissa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    [​IMG] Hi there! My name is Malissa. We live in the Reading/Allentown PA area. Rural, however, ordinances say we need 3 acres for 'livestock and poultry' and we have just over 1. Spoke with authorities and was told that if the neighbor's don't complain, they don't care. Our neighbor's are Mennonite, so not only won't they care...they will probably get some too or at least help us with ours when we go away! I am researching coop designs, combing craigslist for free cheap already made coops and deciding what breed (s) to try (easter eggers are winning and/or Rhode Island Reds). We have afew months to get everything ready before chick season. Also trying to figure out where we can get afew chicks. I was thinking no more than 5 birds...but wanted to see if I should start with afew more chicks in case we lose any? Any advice on that would be appreciated! I hope to transform the chicken coop area into a nice spot for the chickens and the kids and i will plant a chicken garden full of things they will love to eat! The kids are super excited and my favorite childhood memory is checking for eggs at my grandparents house! (minus the rooster who used to chase my brother up a tree...I never heard my Grandfather laugh so hard!)

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you here.

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CHICKS3

CHICKS3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    Richland, IN
    [​IMG]:frow:celebrate

6. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    [​IMG] from West Michigan!

7. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    [​IMG] &aloha from Hawaii! [​IMG]

10. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello Mallisa, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by