Hello from Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Falconechickens, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Falconechickens

Falconechickens New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    Greetings, I am new to this sight but my husband and I have raised BYC for 4 years now , it has been a wonderful experience raising these animals, in fact ours are very spoiled, so much so that when I or my husband goes into their penned in area they come right up to our feet wanting us to pick them each up and give them a hug every morning. We have Rhode island reds. I am hoping to get more information on raising more that are actually a different breed along with the ones we already have and what I need that's recommended as far as roster or goose to help me with strengthening the protection of my hens from predators. We live on a heavy wooded 2 and a half acre property surrounded by Amish farms and fields. Thank you for letting me join.

Indigo

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

We'd be happy to answer any questions you have :)

A rooster would be easier to add than geese. Geese (you need at least two) will require a water source they can fully submerge their heads in and preferably something they can swim in, like a pool. They also really benefit from access to fresh grass, which may be a problem if you don't free range.

A rooster you can add without changing anything, provided you have enough space and enough hens, and after you do a quarantine period, of course :)

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Indigo, hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by