Hello, from Perris, Ca.

JesseOkapi

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Good evening,

I've been lurking around BYC on and off the past couple of years. I don't have chickens, or any other bird for that matter, but I hope to some day and I tend to research things to death before embarking on them.

I'm in a residential neighborhood with an okay back yard, but definitely not acreage. I am turning the backyard into a small garden and orchard (citrus, stone fruit, and apple). I'd like to raise some of my own meat/EGGS as well, like rabbits and quail.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out the zoning code of my area. I found the code, but the darned thing is worded so that (to my reading) we can't even have a rabbit unless we live on a 20,000 square foot lot. And apparently the only birds allowed in city limits are parrot type. So, to my reading, it looks like we can't have finches, canaries, or other domesticated non-parrot birds. So I suppose I may end up just continuing to research and hope to later buy a property where I can have a bit more flexibility in animals.

- Jesse

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Howdy from Kansas, Jesse, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry to hear about your struggle to get chickens. You might try posting in your state's thread in link below. Maybe some locals will chime in and give you some tips. Another good place is the Laws and Ordinances link where you can learn how to get those laws changed. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Hi I live in the county of Perris, I have had chickens for over 20 years. I live in the rural area of Perris county. The city of Riverside and cities like Perris or Murrieta surrounding cities Sun City have a no live stock law within city limits as most cities through out the country. If your planning to have livestock for food raising then you might consider moving, where it is legal for you to do so. No sense in trying to change the cities laws and rules, that was voted on when the city became a city from being rural or none residential. The summer heat alone in this area is enough for me to consider moving further north, it's pure agony to watch my animals suffer so much.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope you can get a piece of property where you can raise chickens, rabbits, and quail. They are such a joy to have. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom