Hello from Petaluma, CA!

Mar 30, 2023
Petaluma, CA
Hi there!

I have long been a lover of birds (since I was a little girl) and I've always had a special place in my heart for quail. What's not to love about those little teardrop-shaped characters?? I'd love to have chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, all the birds... but we're renters at the moment, so I'm starting with a small flock. We do have 2 acres to play with, so that's a plus!

I have (hopefully) 4 jumbo and 2 celadon coturnix hens coming my way from a local breeder in a little over a week, and I've been hungrily devouring every scrap of research I can find for the past couple of months in anticipation of their arrival. My fiancé and I are also in the process of building a 4x8' outdoor floor pen/aviary for them, which should hopefully be finished by the time they're 5-6 weeks old and ready to go live outside. I'll definitely post updates when we've finished the aviary, as I can see people love seeing others' setups, and seeing other folks' aviaries has definitely given me lots of ideas as we've been brainstorming & sketching!

I want to raise quail first and foremost as pets, because I just love them and think they're the cutest, but I was also very excited to learn that their eggs are edible! I'm starting with coturnix but would eventually like to raise California Valley quail. I know that coturnix are simpler to care for, so I thought it would be wise to start there before jumping into the New World quail pool. I'm very excited to be here, and I know I will learn a lot. I was a vet tech for about 8 years, with most of my career being spent at an avian hospital, so I think I'm pretty well prepared, but I am new to keeping poultry myself so I know I have plenty more to learn. We also have 2 cats and a dog, all of whom will be very interested in the new family members I'm sure :)

Anyway, nice to be here!

Back
Top Bottom