Hello from Pymouth, UK!

1newchickie

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
Plymouth
Hi,

My name is Heather, I'm 25 married, mother of 2. We own a German shepherd dog, a corn snake and have had our first 4 chickens for 6 months now. We started with 4 Columbian Blacktails who were 15 months when we got them from a free-range farm. They have been fantastic, settled very quickly and we have had a good amount of eggs from them.

They lived in a converted plastic compost bin on a plallett and free-ranged in the garden until they escaped the garden and ended up across the city! We thankfully got them back and got a new house for them for christmas, they now live on the patio which is fenced off more than the garden so they can free-range until we sort the garden out in the spring to make it level for the kids and chicken-proof!!

The new house is much bigger so we decided to expand our flock. We got 2 Buff Laced Brahma's who are beautiful. They are POL girls and are so lovely to handle. They are being picked something rotten at the moment so we seperated them from the blacktails and introduced them a bit slower, one blacktail for 48 hours to settle then another etc. We have all of the chickens out free-ranging together today for the first time and all seems ok. One blacktail is rather pushy and has opened a wound on one of the Brahma's back so keeping a very close eye on that. Fingers crossed that by next week they will have settled!!

Greetings from Kansas, Heather,
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Happy you are enjoying your hens! Best of luck to you in the future!

Welcome to the group! When you've got chickens in the backyard there are always new projects to work on. Ways to make an existing arrangement better or something that can be built to improve the balance of the chickens happiness and your pleasure with the yard. I wouldn't change a thing though - I loven my girls.

Back
Top Bottom