Hello from Quebec!

penny2411

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
Hello!

My name is Danièle and I recently moved out of the city permanently to our country house so I am planning on doing all these things I've always wanted to do but couldn't when I was here weekends only. First is growing a vegetable garden, second is having backyard chickens! I'm here to gather all the info I need to get started.

I would like to know if there are any other «Canadian chickens» out there that could give pointers on how to raise chickens in our cold climate. Is it doable to keep chickens in the winter or do we have to start from scratch every spring?

Looking forward to exchanging with all of you!

thx
smile.png

I'm in Quebec too, and although my chickens have never gone through a winter (they were hatched this spring) lots of my neighbours keep theirs in an unheated henhouse all winter without problems. The most important thing (I'm told) is to make sure their water doesn't freeze over. Depending on the size of your coop, the number of birds you have, and how well insulated the coop is, chickens generate enough body heat on their own the place warm enough. I'm planning to hang a heat lamp over the water dish.

Back
Top Bottom