Hello from Rolla, MO

CaptainCluck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
Rolla, MO
Raised chickens as a kid. 30 years later going to do it with my wife and two boys. Getting started on converting part of a pole building (shed) to a coop and setting up a run this weekend. Been reading tons here about coop design and hardware cloth. Can't wait for some fresh eggs and meat! Looking forward to our interactions!

Missouri huh? Well I'll try and not hold that against you
wink.png
(Kansas here) Welcome to the site and best of luck to you and yours!

Aw come on now! Thanks! Learned a ton already. I remember my mom getting me up in the middle of the night to blast some poor opossum or coon to kingdom come and also losing chickens to other predators. I want to avoid all that so I'm doing my best to learn from everyone else's mistakes. This website has a wealth of experience and knowledge.

cool.png

Yeah, sadly there are a lot of post on here about predators, so far all I've had to deal with was a large rat snake. But living in the country we have had lots of other critters. Up until a month ago my uncle lived next to us and he would always come running if we needed something killed, my daughter thought he was the bravest man ever when she saw him pick up a opossum so he could get it somewhere to shoot it safely lol We've always had nasty critters and so far no issues with the chickens. Their coop is 110% critter proof though

That's my goal. I want to do it once and do it right. I don't want to have to make a cement prison, but I'm not opposed to spending some money. I have no problem dispatching a nuisance predator, but would rather not. By the way, any suggestions for good dogs for guard duty? I have a very old English pointer right now. A bird dog and not a great watch dog. Thanks for responding!

I have four dogs, a lab, a beagle, a border collie, and a wiener dog. So far the only one that has been allowed to be in the chicken run has been the wiener dog. I'm hoping some day to be able to trust my dogs but that won't be happening anytime soon. After getting a good whack the border collie no longer gets excited at sudden chicken movements but the lab is still envisioning a tasty chicken meal. I have read many many posts on here about peoples dogs protecting the flock though, just takes a lot of training or at least raising chicken and dog together.

We had a beagle when I was a boy. He would bark and howl anytime a fox, raccoon, or opossum showed up. I don't think I'd like all that howling now though. My back yard is fenced. I live on 1.5 acres with a half-acre back yard. My chicken run will be 12 x 40 inside the back yard. My dog now lives in the back yard. Was hoping to get a pup next spring and train him for guard duty. Maybe I'll get another beagle anyway. Or two.

Yeah I think my beagle is the only dog that actually guards us but I'll admit I curse her many times at night when she wakes me up lol it sounds bad I guess, but she has had to be quarantined a few times after getting in fights so bad with opossums and muskrats. She is a vicious little thing but I know she has our backs so I'm grateful.

Back
Top Bottom