Hello from snow covered CT.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VinceRusso, Feb 3, 2015.

1. VinceRusso

VinceRusso Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Norwalk CT
    Hello All,

My name is Vince Russo and I'm from Norwalk, CT. My son Jonathan(15) and I have been throwing back and forth the idea of keeping chickens for a few years now. My wife took vacation for a weekend back in September so the kids and I built a coop, painted it, set up a run, wired it all the way around, dug it in and picked up the cutest 3 Red Cross chickens from Benedict's in Monroe CT.

So she came home Sunday evening, yelled a bit at me, and a few days later she was outside feeding them too! :) We won her over so of course bought 3 more chickens that weekend.

Eggs started coming early December and we're firing on all cylinders now so the kids sell 1/2 the eggs each week to neighbors and the funds go into the feed money jar.

We've named the smallest of the six Sassy, she's very social and will come right over to us and peck at our rings/shoes/buttons.

Currently we're looking for a few Easter Eggers to add to our flock.

It's been a very fun adventure so far and we've all grown very attached to "The Girls" and enjoy their company very much. Looking forward to learning and sharing experiences on the forum.

Who knew and why did it take me so long?

-Vince Russo

1 person likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Great intro there on how you got startred with chickens. They make great chicken TV just sitting watching them is fun. Lovely to hear they have won your wife over, they bring so much pleasure and are quite addictive. I too started out the same way, my son and his Dad started the project with two hens. The novelty wore off I got hooked and the rest is history. The chicken math took over.

Wishing you the very best of luck, be sure to ask any questions you my have. Enjoy BYC :frow

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It sounds like you have a nice flock! You should get lots of eggs from those birds.[​IMG] Good luck in your search for Easter Eggers! When you have 20 posts, you can participate in the Buy-Sell-Trade section: Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade

5. VinceRusso

Feb 3, 2015
    Norwalk CT
    Thank you Yorkshire coop for the warm welcome. Your Polish are so fuzzy looking, really cute. We handle ours pretty frequently and talk to them so I'm going out on a limb thinking that we're no that only ones who do that too. :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Vince, nice to meet you. I liked your sorta "sneaky" chicken presentation to your wife. It's really great when the whole family gets involved. Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

It sounds like you have a wonderful flock! Good luck with finding some Easter Eggers.

8. VinceRusso

Feb 3, 2015
    Norwalk CT
    Thanks Drumstick and Bantam. Best part was she found out about it on my FaceBook timeline because when we called her and told her she did not believe us, ha ha ha!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Lovely intro! Great to meet you! I also sell my hen eggs.

Cute avatar!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by