Hello from South Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PolAnimal, Feb 6, 2014.

1. PolAnimal

PolAnimal New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    I DID have three hens:

[​IMG]

Until Sunday when I found all three huddled in a corner of the coop, stone dead. No idea why all three would have died. The weather was hot, but not as hot as we have had this summer (about 40°C.) I guess something scared them and with the heat that did for them.

The brown hens (Rhode Island Reds??) were reliable layers, the white one, a Leghorn?, took lots of holidays from laying.

With a couple of friends will build a bigger & better coop and an even bigger run.
    [​IMG]

I can only let the chooks out into the garden for limited time—I have a terrier which you can see in my avatar :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. I am soo sorry about the loss of your 3 chickens.

With a new coop and run hope when you get new chickens that all goes well!

Also I would like to Welcome you to BYC! [​IMG]

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss.[​IMG] You can try posting about your chickens' deaths in the "Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries and Cures" forum to see if anyone can tell you why your chickens died. I hope you're able to get more chickens soon!

4. PolAnimal

PolAnimal New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you for your welcome.

Yeah, was a grim business digging a deep hole in the heat then dragging the birds one by one into the hole.

I think possibly a snake or lizard scared them (a sleepy lizard or bearded dragon do put up fearsome looking displays :) and that with the heat did for them.

So now looking for ideas for a bigger and better coop, with more insulation and lifted further off the ground. Also looking to give my new girls a dry area by cutting one section of an old round metal rainwater tank into two, will give a 5' by 6' by 3' high area where rain won’t reach and they can have their dustbaths even in our wet winters, put the feeders and waterer in there too. Have a couple of misters to help keep the birds cool.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Aw, how sad.

Welcome to BYC

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your birds.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

So sorry about your birds. I know how hard it is to lose them.

But I do welcome you here and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

8. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you may also want to post on this thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island." Others may be able to shed some light on the demise of your 3 hens. Maybe a poisonous snake? Were there any marks on the birds, or puncture wounds - anything at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by