Hello from South Texas

CCJori

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
Hi All!

I'm brand new to chickens, although my husband's family raised them when he was younger so I at least have experienced people to call on! My chickens have been with me for about 2 weeks. They're growing SO FAST!

I started out with 12 chickens, and now have 11 after an unfortunate incident with a stray cat.

I have no idea what breeds I have (in fact am counting on you guys to maybe help out with that). The story of my chick acquisition is a little odd. We have one single place down here that sells chicks that have been raised on organic feed (that was important to me). They were getting their last batch for the year ready for memorial day weekend. I had tried to go and buy chicks before but they were always out. So I sent my husband down the week before Memorial Day to reserve 8 chicks for us and pay for them, because we were going to be out of town the day they went up for sale. When we came back, they had reserved our 8 (of random breeds) plus they gave us 4 for free because they didn't have the breed my husband really wanted, so we ended up with 12.

As far as the rest of the family goes, I have two dogs: a 12 year old (? maybe ?) male Pointer, and a 6 year old female Catahoula. They haven't shown much interest in the chickens thus far, but I've been keeping them separated because I don't want any incidents. I also garden for our table, and chickens seemed to be the next logical step in our self-sufficiency journey.

My husband and his father built our coop in about a half-day's work. I currently only have nest boxes for 8 chickens, so I'm trying to figure out some sort of an addition for the unexpected extra 3 that we have.

I am (hopefully) attaching pictures of our coop and chicks.

Coop right after construction:

Chicks the day they arrived:

Chicks last week:

Chicks today:

Howdy from Kansas, CCJori, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you with us! You don't need a nestbox per chicken - 3 or 4 would be sufficient for the birds you have - they tend to use a favored two or three anyway. Good luck to you!

Howdy from Kansas, CCJori, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you with us! You don't need a nestbox per chicken - 3 or 4 would be sufficient for the birds you have - they tend to use a favored two or three anyway. Good luck to you!
That's excellent news! They tend to prefer the back two boxes, but I'm not sure if that's a genuine preference or just because they're still a little skittish. I try to handle them each day, feeding them out of my hands and whatnot. There are a few that are pretty friendly (the gray one that's front & center in most of the pictures) and one of the brownish ones with the dark brown stripes over their eyes (sorry, I have no idea what breeds I have). One of the red ones is friendlier than the other. But it's usually just the gray one and the light brown with the dark brown stripes that come right up to me.

Hi All!

I'm brand new to chickens, although my husband's family raised them when he was younger so I at least have experienced people to call on! My chickens have been with me for about 2 weeks. They're growing SO FAST!

I started out with 12 chickens, and now have 11 after an unfortunate incident with a stray cat.

I have no idea what breeds I have (in fact am counting on you guys to maybe help out with that). The story of my chick acquisition is a little odd. We have one single place down here that sells chicks that have been raised on organic feed (that was important to me). They were getting their last batch for the year ready for memorial day weekend. I had tried to go and buy chicks before but they were always out. So I sent my husband down the week before Memorial Day to reserve 8 chicks for us and pay for them, because we were going to be out of town the day they went up for sale. When we came back, they had reserved our 8 (of random breeds) plus they gave us 4 for free because they didn't have the breed my husband really wanted, so we ended up with 12.

As far as the rest of the family goes, I have two dogs: a 12 year old (? maybe ?) male Pointer, and a 6 year old female Catahoula. They haven't shown much interest in the chickens thus far, but I've been keeping them separated because I don't want any incidents. I also garden for our table, and chickens seemed to be the next logical step in our self-sufficiency journey.

My husband and his father built our coop in about a half-day's work. I currently only have nest boxes for 8 chickens, so I'm trying to figure out some sort of an addition for the unexpected extra 3 that we have.

I am (hopefully) attaching pictures of our coop and chicks.

Coop right after construction:

Chicks the day they arrived:

Chicks last week:

Chicks today:

Hi
welcome-byc.gif
from central Texas you will love this site so much information.

Back
Top Bottom