Hello from southern VA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kdmcgee, Apr 30, 2017.

1. kdmcgee

kdmcgee New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    My daughter and young granddaughters want to raise laying chickens as have no idea how to start! I found this group and it sounds like the perfect place to begin learning [​IMG] I'm looking forward to spending some time here and beginning our adventure!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The best place to start a chicken education is the Learning Center above. [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC.

As D/Diva says, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under kdmcgee [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG] from Northern VA!!

6. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Hello and welcome to BYC,

How old is your granddaughter? I believe if you would like chickens that will lay is begin with a few chicks. With hands on they become very people friendly. Kids are usually not afraid of them either compared to being up close to a chicken. Chicks will also bond with the granddaughter if she is there all the time. They will follow her around like they would its mother and who ever cares for them. The more hands on the people friendlier they become. Now there are exceptions, because you can get one that just not going to do it. But most chicks will let you pick them up and play with them. I don't know who enjoys it more. Me or my chicks. Chicks also grow up fast in a matter of months at about 4 to 5 months some even begin laying eggs. Eggs come in all colors from the most common being white to browns, blue or even green and sometimes you can find pink eggs. It all depends on the breed and type of chickens you would like. There are larger breeds and smaller breeds. There are fancy chickens and not so fancy chickens. So picking out what you like is part of the fun. If you only have a small area for them to be at I would go with a smaller breed. Ones that don't need as much room as the larger breeds.

A great place to see if anyone has extra chicks or even chickens if you decide to go that root is in our forums state area. I see Ken gave you the link already to it. So just click on there and let everyone know your looking for some chicks. Spring time is when there are a lot of chicks available.

If you decide chicks you will need a warm area for them to be in. The brooder box can be anything from a plastic container to a cardboard box. They will need PINE shavings, food and water containers, food chick starter food, and heat source to. You will need a thermometer also to know how warm the inside of the container is to regulate it.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. chicken6

chicken6 New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    Hey! I grew up in the Brookneal/Lynchburg area, but no longer live there. Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by