Hello from Southwest Virginia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by firstimecluckin, Oct 8, 2012.

1. firstimecluckin

firstimecluckin New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    Just getting started with chickens - have done a LOT of research, but will obviously still have questions from time to time. Have participated in a harvest this summer which yielded excellent flavorful meat, so next spring will try out meat and egg-layers. Any suggestions on breeds would be appreciated, but was thinking (egg-wise) to try a mix of Rhode Island / New Hampshire Reds, Australorps, and Barred Rocks. Any reason not to mix?

Thanks and look forward to talking with you all!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, firstimecluckin, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. I am not the person to ask about mixing breeds. I think breeds are bred obviously to maximize certain traits and mixing will alter those traits. So, not knowing what you are trying to achieve by mixing, I can't really advise. Some people swear that mutts make better and healthier chickens - I personally think they are very interesting to look at. It doesn't seem to me like it would alter egg production all that much as those are some nice laying breeds you mentioned, but again, I am not the expert in such matters. Others will chime in with more educated advice than mine, thank goodness. In the meantime - good luck to you and welcome aboard!!

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Yours is a sound approach, and serves as a good example for us all ... the links at the bottom of my post (that open in a new window) should be bookmarked by anybody that has poultry.

Sorta new here myself, and wanted to give back a bit of the warm welcome I received. SoOo ...
    "Welcome to BYC!"

Also ... just got twenty-six chicks as a collection of rainbow layers, all female, from McMurray. They've got other selections for meat, productivity 'n such. I kinda regret not having them vaccinated for Merek's, which only adds fifteen or so cents per bird there. Window-shopping their current specials might help you come up w/ some preferences to add to your flock.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Mixing breeds can have interesting results, but some breeds are excellent layers already. Have a look in the Breeds and the Reviews sections here to see what our member's say about their hens.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

6. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello & welcome to BYC from Kentucky!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

9. PFSfarmer

PFSfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop
    There is great people and info here......[​IMG]

10. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Welcome from another SW Virginia resident! Having a mixed flock works well in most cases - if you want to try breeding, you may want to have a means to separate the breeds to keep them pure. Or you may choose to develop your own mix. In the meantime, keep researching and asking questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by