Hello from sunny AZ

Chichip

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 14, 2014
Greetings everyone,

I get my first ever chicks tomorrow . I will be getting 3 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 1 mystery chick! Besides getting them as pets we are getting them to keep the bug population down. I have seen how they break down horse droppings and keep flies from getting out of hand. Any tips and tricks you could share would be helpful! Thank you!

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Yes chickens do eat bug's very well and do tend to keep the population down
thumbsup.gif

But these guys do make a bit of noise but are your top bugger eater's
highfive.gif

gander007
old.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from another Arizonan. We are one year into our chicken education and loving it. This site and specifically, the Arizona forum, have provided us a wealth of information specific to AZ temp extremes. Have fun as you browse around the site. There is lots to learn and great people no matter where you choose to go.

images

Kelsie has given you some great links to follow!

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to BYC!

Thank you everyone for the kind greetings! Yes, I indeed have them. Oh my are they active little things. I feel like a new mom again! We have them in a huge box with shavings in a warm room and those little boogers are so active. We put our hand in there with some crushed up dried meal worms and OH MY are they all over our hand shoving others out of the way! I wake up several times in the night to change their water and just touch their little sides. They are in our house......laundry room. Please tell me others do this so I don't feel weird. They are just changing so fast each day I don't want to miss anything! Thank you to all who shared tips I have been reading them and I am going to go the the AZ site as well to connect. Thanks again!

Well as far as wierd goes..... WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! I had our babies in our family room so I could look at them all the time. (until it got time for them to go outside) I finally accepted and celebrated my wierdness after getting chickens and have been loving life ever since. I have a sign in our laundry room that says "Around here, normal is just a setting on the washing machine". Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom