Hello from sunny Devon, England.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Damo429, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Damo429

Damo429 Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi all, glad I found this forum.

I have 3X Nine week old white hens, I am pretty sure they are hens, but not sure of the exact breed. We got them when they where 5 week old and I thought they where bantams. They have a coupe but its too small for them,so they don't use it. I have completely covered one end of their run with a tarp, and they just seem to huddle together, just under it at night, they are on my patio at the moment, on saw dust, with some hay under the tarp.

I have been buying chick crumb in 5KG sacks, which stated, they should be kept on until they where 10 weeks old. I ran out this week so bought a 2KG pack which stated, they should be kept on until they where 8 weeks old. I panicked a bit a and bought 2KG of layers pellets. I am now giving them a mix of both for this last week

They have been treated for mites and seem to be very happy, I am also getting a bigger coupe next week, they are in my rabbit run at the moment but I have nearly finished a slightly bigger run for them and they are being relocated to the back of my garden when their new coupe arrives

There is nothing else I can really say about them at the moment except that I am completely new to keeping chickens but enjoying it so far.

2. chickenhound

chickenhound Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Hello Damo429 and welcome to BYC [​IMG]. We are glad to have you as a member. When you get some time, post some pictures of your birds and I'm sure our members can identify the breed and gender of your birds. Good luck with the flock.

3. Damo429

Damo429 Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    Thank you

from what I have written do you think I am feeding them properley, I am going out today to see if I can get them some growers feed but dont remember seeing it anywhere

4. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Songster

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

5. chickenhound

chickenhound Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Nine week old pullets are a bit too young for layer feed. I would feed them starter or grower feed until they are at least 16 weeks or better. Then I would get them on either layer pellets or layer mash. In the US and I would imagine in England as well, the main difference between starter feed and layer feed is the protein level. Typically starter/ grower feed is around 22% protein and layer feed is around 16% protein. I believe that that the layer feed also has more calcium for egg shell development. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X2 on the layer feed. They should not be on that until it comes time to lay. Too much calcium at this age can damage the kidneys. You need to get them into the coop at night if that means expanding on it. Predators are everywhere. Your birds will be much happier and safer on a roost bar in a coop.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Layer feed will damage little chicks' kidneys and inner organs. Feed them a 18-20% protein diet until they reach 18 weeks. Then provide the layer feed and extra calcium.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.
    Cheers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: