Hello from Sunny FL

SunnyFLChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Space Coast, FL
Hello everyone!

I'm not new to chickens but it has been years since I had any. I'm very excited to have some support! I actually stumbled upon this group as I was looking for coop ideas.

I don't have any birds yet but I am making my plans and hope to get a few hens going within the next year. (Seems like a long time but I have a 3 year old and a 2 month old so I have to plan ahead)

We had a mixed flock when I was in high school and love silkies and bantams but I'd like something that lays a full sized egg. I have my eye on Orpingtons. I really, REALLY want some lavenders but I may end up with buff due to availability and funds. (Maybe I can find some on here) I'm hoping Orps will have a good disposition with the kids, who will be helping with the care. Please speak up if that's totally off the mark as I am new to that breed.

Looking forward to learning from everyone and picking up some new info!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Orpingtons tend to have nice temperaments and be very sweet birds, they are a really popular breed because of it. They do tend to go broody. Check out the BYC Breeds member reviews on them https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/orpington And because we are all enablers, there is a nice thread on Lavender Orpingtons, maybe you can find a breeder on there that has chicks or hatching eggs https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/329273/lavender-orpington-project they are also advertised on the Buy-Sell-Trade forum occasionally, and don't forget to try your state thread for local birds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

Hi and welcome,
I really like buff orps! Just becareful of chicken math setting in as you start out or you will be like me and have way more then you started out wanting lol! I can't wait to hear all about your chicken adventures

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, the Orps have very sweet personalities and are very kid friendly. All the Orps make good kids pets as they tolerate being carried around and in your face attention. My Black Australorps are huge lap babies. If you want a lap chicken, get some Black Australorps! (Also an Orpington)

Kelsie has left you with some great links to follow up on. Enjoy this new adventure and welcome to our flock!

Thank you everyone for the welcome!

So, I just encountered the private message limit issue. Does anyone know will the messages I was trying to send go out once the ban is lifted? Or will I have to resend?

I think you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can send messages. You might welcome in some new members here to get your post count up. I think it is 10 or 20 posts. But after that, you can send pm's. After your post count is up, check in your sent box to see if they sent. I am not sure if they will need resending or not. But it never hurts to resend them. Get your post count up first. :)

When you get 20 posts you can also participate in the BYC buy, sell, trade forum. If you notice a Moderator on here (the title will be with their avatar) you can address her on this thread and hopefully she will take notice.

I never knew you had to have a certain number of posts to pm. Frequently newbies on here pm me to ask for more information etc. I thought it was a 'given.'

Back
Top Bottom