Hello from SW Virginia

Finelyfound

Chirping
Jan 1, 2016
Blue Ridge Mountains Virginia
Hello,

We are located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of SW Virginia. We have a 25 acre farm, with welsh ponies and assorted dogs. We recently relocated to this area after a looong 5 year wait.
I have grown up on farms along the East Coast, have always had horse/ponies and have bred welsh ponies for a number of years. I have wanted chickens for years, but knew we would be making a big move so I have waited patiently to relocate all the while researching all things chicken.
So now it's time to get all the details nailed down and everything ready. So I will be asking questions about coop design, brooders, layers, meat birds and more so we can get started.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Oh wow that has been a long wait to get your chicken adventures underway. The learning centre sure is a great place to start for lots of articles on getting started.

Wishing you the very best of luck getting started. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help amd very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sounds like you have a really nice farm. X2 on OrganicFarmWife; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Happy New Year.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

You may also want to check out the coops section for sizes, styles, materials - some have step by step photos & descriptions, etc. General rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.f eet per bird in the coop (excluding roosts and nest boxes) and 10 sq. feet per bird in the outdoor run. I see you have 2 Livestock protection dogs who will give predators a desire to be elsewhere. Otherwise you may want to cover the run to keep out jumpers, climbers and airborne preds

It would be good to post on your state thread and ask about predators, which chicken breeds do best in your climate. Where the best prices on feed & suppies are. Welcome to Backyard chickens - hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Back
Top Bottom