Hello from SW Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Finelyfound, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Finelyfound

Finelyfound Out Of The Brooder

Hello,

We are located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of SW Virginia. We have a 25 acre farm, with welsh ponies and assorted dogs. We recently relocated to this area after a looong 5 year wait.
    I have grown up on farms along the East Coast, have always had horse/ponies and have bred welsh ponies for a number of years. I have wanted chickens for years, but knew we would be making a big move so I have waited patiently to relocate all the while researching all things chicken.
    So now it's time to get all the details nailed down and everything ready. So I will be asking questions about coop design, brooders, layers, meat birds and more so we can get started.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Welcome! This is a great site full of helpful people. When you get a chance check out the learning center, it is full of good information
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    You will probably find most of the answers you are looking for there. But you are also more then welcome to ask any questions you might have.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Oh wow that has been a long wait to get your chicken adventures underway. The learning centre sure is a great place to start for lots of articles on getting started.

Wishing you the very best of luck getting started. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help amd very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sounds like you have a really nice farm. X2 on OrganicFarmWife; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Happy New Year.

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love your avatar pic!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may also want to check out the coops section for sizes, styles, materials - some have step by step photos & descriptions, etc. General rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.f eet per bird in the coop (excluding roosts and nest boxes) and 10 sq. feet per bird in the outdoor run. I see you have 2 Livestock protection dogs who will give predators a desire to be elsewhere. Otherwise you may want to cover the run to keep out jumpers, climbers and airborne preds

It would be good to post on your state thread and ask about predators, which chicken breeds do best in your climate. Where the best prices on feed & suppies are. Welcome to Backyard chickens - hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by