Hello from SW Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BGMatt, Feb 28, 2013.

1. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Hi, my name is Matt.

I've been raising poultry for 19 years now, have had chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, pheasants, pigeons and peafowl over that time for various lengths of time (Most of it with chickens admittedly). Anywhere from as few as 5 to upwards of 600 birds depending on the various time frame. Eventually business, school and other interests stole time away from poultry until, the last year I have only had a bare minimum trio of Bourbon Red Turkeys and a pair of African geese, but recently decided I missed my birds too much and acquired quite an assortment of baby chicks from a local 4-H auction and am really looking forward to getting back into breeding and showing. The babies are only a couple weeks old and some are still unidentified but I know there's a ton of White Polish bantams, some Buff Laced Polish in both sizes, two Dorkings, one Barred Holland and a bunch of Dark Brahma bantams, the rest I'll see as they age.

When not with the chickens I own and operate Main Street Pet, an all natural pet food and supply store, which also offers my own custom blend of feed. My interests have always laid with animal nutrition, and color genetics fascinate me. Other hobbies include occasionally showing my beloved (but not chicken friendly sadly) Irish Terrier.

Found the site through coming across it a few times but never took the time to register, and now that I'm apparently back in the hobby full time I thought it'd be neat to join the community and see what's changed since I was last involved at any level.

Anyway that's me, I look forward to meeting everyone and taking part in discussions here.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I'm sure the feeding sections would love to learn more about your nutrition knowledge!

3. BGMatt

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Thanks for the welcome. Sure enough that's the first place I headed when I finished this intro post. haha

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! I can relate to having a non-chicken friendly terrier [​IMG]

5. BGMatt

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    If they weren't so darn cute you could almost be mad at them. Haha, what kind of Terrier do you have?

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm sure with your experience you will have a lot of interesting things to share with us. I'm glad you joined us!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BGMatt, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Sounds like you have a lot of poultry experience so chickens should be a snap! Best of luck and have fun!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Terriers (read terrorists) can be little devils sometimes. Good thing for them that they are so cute.

9. Calebs Farm

Calebs Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Welcome to BYC

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]from Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by