Hello from Tampa Bay!

a.kam

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Hi! I don't have any chickens yet but I'm definitely planning on getting a couple - I joined this forum so I could learn to do it right the first time. I've never had chickens before, even though I grew up on a farm. Looking forward to getting a few for eggs and pets.

Any suggestions for what variety of chickens to get? I'd like something that's friendly and not easily spooked (I have 2 big dogs with whom they will be sharing the backyard) - and good layers, of course!

welcome-byc.gif
from Oregon. I personally like Polish, mine lay pretty well and are extremely friendly.

I have cohins, silkies, and a few RIR's just for the larger size eggs. Have fun with them!

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. I have had Wyandottes, Barred rocks and Buff Orpintons that are usually calm and friendly, not my White Rock though. She is a real flake. I hear the Buckeye are also calm, but I haven't had one of those yet.
thumbsup.gif

Nah, I know my dogs well enough to know they won't kill the chickens, but they will definitely be interested. I didn't intend to let them all run around free together, but there will be some contact between them (can't be helped - my yard isn't all that big). Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom