Hello from Texas!

TXChickMama

Chirping
Dec 29, 2015
Hockley, TX
Just wanted to say hi to everyone! I've enjoyed reading a lot of the threads in the forum and have learned a lot already. We had 4 hens given to us last year, but a predator got 3 of them, so we gave the 4th back before she succumbed to the same fate. Since then, we have been planning and working on the new and improved coop and fenced area. My husband constructed a great enclosure this time, very secure, and we are confident these chickies will thrive and live long, healthy lives. I agreed to take the 11 chicks that hatched in my elementary school and have had cared for them since they were a week old. The farmer who donated them to our school has a variety of hens and roosters running around, but 9 of them appear to be Rhode Island Reds, 1 a Leghorn (but has some brown flecks on her wing tips, so not sure...), and 1 appears to be a Buff Orpington. She appears to be low in the pecking order, but is a real sweetheart. They are now 8 weeks old and loving their new enclosure. They are roosting well in the coop at night and using the little tunnel to the fenced area in the daytime, exploring around and testing out their legs and wings. It's so funny to watch them run across the enclosure for no reason other than joy. We named our fenced area "Fort Cluck" and our coop is the "Chick Inn." Eagerly awaiting eggs in the spring, but until then, enjoying watching them grow and change. The picture is when they were about 7 weeks old and checking out the chicken swing we put up. No one has used it yet... LOL. Anyway, glad to be part of the group!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me). You have a beautiful flock. Thanks for posting the pic. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Chickens are usually leery about anything new, even foods. But, once one bird tries it (swing, etc), the others will follow suit. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

Nice looking bunch of girls you have there, hope they like the swing!

Back
Top Bottom