Hello From Texas

BeautyBuffs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
As a child I grew up with various breeds my Mom kept. I have not had chickens in about 23 years so I am starting out new again. After reading about the different breeds available I settled on the Buff Orpingtons due to their social behavior and I wanted good layers. I decided I would just get 5 but husband coaxed me into 10 due to it being straight run I might get more roosters than hens. So far I think I have 2 roosters, will have to wait and see what the smaller ones turn out to be. They appear to be quite friendly little ones, except for Fiesty, anything above its head it pecks at or attempts to jump on (lol). I set and read or talk to them daily once they outgrew their box and moved to their new indoor nursery. They climb all over you, wonderful breed indeed. We have yet to decide on a outdoor coop style for them. I love some of the designs on here and definatly will be sharing them with my husband. Although I hate to move them outside, at the rate they are growing, their move will not be to far off in the future. Husband will not let me leave them in the guest room once they feather out all the way ( lol ).
We also have a Lab Mix, a Chihuahua Mix, a Pomeranian, and 4 fish (the Pomeranian ate the rest of the fish).

Hello and :welcome
I personally would love the chance to keep buff orps, they were originally my first choice, but we couldn't find a place to source them from. Enjoy your chickens! I had a young one like Fiesty a few years ago, your description sounds so similar. :lol:

You are so correct on the dust. I am in there daily dusting the whole room from curtains to dresser, tv and game units. The bedspred gets yanked and washed regularly too. That is probably going overboard on the cleaning but it gives me an excuse to hang out with the chickens and talk to them about whatever show is on tv at the time.
lau.gif

Thank You Everyone. This is a wonderful website full of very helpful people and forum posts.

Hi from Texas.

Watch those dogs carefully. The only birds I've lost to dogs were to a Lab mix and a Chihuahua mix. You already know what the Pom is capable of.

Back
Top Bottom