1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rebdavis, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Rebdavis

Rebdavis New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Hello, I am new to the forum but have made this site my go to for all answers Chicken! when i was young my parents got my two chickens. I named them Chirp and Mirp. I knew NOTHING about chickens but i loved these birds. They were potty trained (i have no idea how i did it) so i was allowed to keep them in my room. I let them out while i was at school and brought them in at night. They were solid white and HUGE. Big and wide and super sweet. Anyhow, I have always wanted to have chickens since then and finally at the age of 34 i finally got some, 12 as a matter of fact. I am down to 10 because my boxer got one and another died the night i brought it home. I got my chickens from TSC. I have three rhode island Reds, Three Leghorns, and three Bantams, and then a dark brown one that i have no idea what it is. They started laying about a month and a half ago and the Rooster is doing his job. Right now i have two eggs that are going to be hatching anytime now, 6 eggs under my neighbors hen, because she was broody but he doesnt have a rooster and my hens were not broody so i took advantage. And just a few days ago one of my bantams decided to start sitting. She steals all the eggs that are layed by the others so i have no idea how many shes on. I try to sneak in and collect the others eggs before she beats me so hopefully im not gonna have 47 chicks hatch in a couple weeks. Well thats my story so far. Hopefully i am succesful and will be able to help others that have the same love for chickies as i do pretty soon!!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

If your banty hen is sitting on more eggs than she can cover, you may have a poor hatch as some the eggs will not be incubated evenly. Most banties can handle 5 or 6 eggs at the most. If you mark several for her to keep and remove any others on a daily basis, you will improve your odds of having a good hatch.

4. Rebdavis

Rebdavis New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Thank you! Can she handle the big eggs too? Or only the little banty eggs?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] she could probably cover a big egg but that would lower the number of other eggs she could handle.

6. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by