Hello from the backyard :)

TheMidnightCrow

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2020
Hello BYC community! :frow It's nice to finally have an account on here! Here is my Introduction...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I got my first flock of 9 pullet chicks in 2017, though my family had had them before.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

35 and rising including 7 great roos :) and 4 ducks!

(3) What breeds do you have?

I think the better question would be "what breeds don't I have" :lol:. I have Buff Orpingtons (Favorite Breed), Australorps, Jersey Giants, Easter Eggers, White-Faced Black Spanishs, Swedish Flower, Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, Cuckoo Maran, Polish, Cinnamon Queens, ISA Browns, Columbian Rock Cross, Buckeye, Cherry Egger, Cochin, Pekin(Cochin Bantam), and Sebrights. The Duck breeds I have are Pekin and Khaki Cambell. I have had, and hope to have again, Ameraucanas and Austrasummers(A mixed breed of Australorp and Welsummer) and hope to have and love many more;)!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Everything! Having fresh eggs on a daily basis is awesome! Getting to know a lot of different chickens breeds, getting to know people in my community and bonding over chickens, learning new things everyday, and loving and growing with all my little fluffy-butt babies and sharing that love with others!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Dragons and every living creature! I love animals and hope to live around all and any my whole life! I write stories about dragons, as they are my fantastical love, but most of my stories are based off my pets. Chickens and dragons are very alike:lol:!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My family and I have a backyard farm so additionally to the chickens we have goats and deck-to-table gardens, vegetable and flora. In the house we have two dogs, two cats, two rabbits, and many other small things that come and go (like lizards, fish, snails, and frog/toads). We also just started to compost with red wriggler worms. We have no place to go but up and this farm life is a wonderfully adventurous occupation.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

Ever since I got my first chicks, I have come on here to get answers to almost all my quick questions (like about heating, sexing, feed, and common ailments). But as my flock grows, I am getting more obscure questions that I found are hard to locate, given how specific they are, especially when it was something urgent like when my chicken was very sick and needed help asap. These questions could only be asked by me if I wanted good answers. So I decided to get an account. Based on what I've seen as an outsider, I can tell this will be a great step for me and my flock:D!

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! I have a breed that you don't have; Naked Neck's! Good luck with your flock!
Thank you! I love Naked Necks or Turkens! I’ve always wanted one, I think there are unique and full of personality, but my family thinks they are kinda ugly. So I don’t have one... yet ;)

Thank you! I love Naked Necks or Turkens! I’ve always wanted one, I think there are unique and full of personality, but my family thinks they are kinda ugly. So I don’t have one... yet ;)

It took me time to even think about having any of them, but they grow on you. Plus, they do very well in the hot desert heat out here in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom