Hello from the Boston 'burbs! Flock owner as of yesterday

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NBwriter, Apr 2, 2016.

1. NBwriter

NBwriter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    west of Boston
    My Coop
    Hi all, I've been learning from this community for awhile during my research phase, and it's time to say hello (and thank you for the early info!).

I just picked up a coop kit from TSC, and succumbed to Chick Week while I was there: 2 silkies/2 barred rock/ 2 ISA browns (cross RI red and white). We have them in a heat-lamp crate in the sunroom, where they're currently cheeping and scratching their heads over their new suburban zoo: 5 kids, 1 bernese mountain dog, 2 cats, a bunch of fish and probably some foster kittens in a few weeks.

Up today: building the coop. We have a fenced acre with predators beyond, and trying to decide where to situate, whether it stays stationary (sounds like some folks move the coop around the yard), and whether we need to do something like dig down a rock foundation or put stakes in the immediate perimeter to keep marauders from digging under.

Also up today: trying to find a few pastel layers like Amercaucanas/Araucanas to add to the incubator while they're young and (hopefully) will still play nice. Oh, and bracing for the weekend SNOW.

Really excited to be here for the support and camaraderie!
    Cheers,
    NB

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your new chicks. Hopefully that snow will miss you.

3. NBwriter

NBwriter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    west of Boston
    My Coop
    Thanks!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I love Bernese, our neighbor has had two of them - gorgeous, sweet dogs.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi NB and a warm welcome to BYC. I hope that you continue to enjoy BYC now that you are a member.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by