Hello from the Carolina's, I NEED HELP!!

Kwikcutty88

Hatching
Jun 29, 2016
South Eastern North Carolina
Hello all. My name is Josh, and I have been raising chickens with my family for about a year and a half now. We currently have 3 egg laying birds that are about a year old. We also have 3 little ones (only one is egg laying) that are a few months old. The three little ones are frizzle chickens. Of the three bigger girls we have, one is a barred rock, one is I believe an australorp, and I am unsure of the other. They have a pretty decent coop setup (I'll grab some pics tomorrow). We try to let them all out to roam around the yard when we are home, they usually go back in the coop when it starts to get dark out. For about the past two weeks, we had let the little ones stay in with the big birds with no issues. I checked on them this morning, and one of the small frizzle had been attacked by the others. She had a pretty good wound on the back of her neck, so I sprayed her with antiseptic spray, and separated her. After this episode I had planned on moving the little ones back to a separate cage, away from the big ones. I still have the wounded separated from the other two, however it seems they are all fighting now. Once I moved the other little ones to their own cage, they started to peck at each other and screech. I'm at a loss of what to do, they have never really fought like this. Any ideas??

Hi :welcome Josh

Glad you could join us here! Pecking orders sure can be a troublesome thing when adding new birds to your flock and I'm sorry to hear you have been having trouble. CT has left you some great links to check out and I'm sure you will find them most helpful.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
CTKen left you some good resources to check out. Best of luck!

Thank you everyone for your welcoming, and the resources. I thought I'd update this post, just to make it a little more clear. Here is our current coup situation. The coup all the way to the right has a hole cut in it so the Chickens can enter and exit as they please. We hope to do the same with the coup on the far left. [

Here is a photo of our big birds, they are all egg laying hens. I believe the black bird is the "alpha hen" (not sure of the correct term for this.)

This is one of our small frizzle hens. She was somewhat aggressive towards our smallest bird, and the wounded one. She is separated in the cage with the white trim.

And here are the other two small birds. They are separated in a large dog crate in our garage for now. The black bird with tan head is the egg laying, and she is the one with the wound on the back of her head/neck. The small red bird aka "curly sue" is also in this cage. When nesting with our other small frizzle she was pecked at and was squeaking. It seems the black/tan bird does the same thing to her when they nest, but only if they are in the same nesting box.

Just a little to update the thread further. The wounded bird is healing nicely, the wound is clean, and free of bugs. However it seems now she is picking on the little red one and cornering her. Do I let them just fight it out? They are from the same batch of eggs, but the red one is much smaller than the others.

Back
Top Bottom