Hello from the land of OZ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OZchicks, Sep 28, 2013.

1. OZchicks

OZchicks Just Hatched

Sep 28, 2013
    Olathe KS
    Hi all. I thought I should finally join and introduce myself. Every time I search the web for information on chickens there is ways great advice that comes from this forum. I live in Olathe KS. I have had a trio of ducks for several years. Sadly we lost one last winter so now I have only two-both Pekins. This spring we decided to get some chickens. I have 6 hens that just started laying in August. It's nice to get a half a dozen eggs every day. Plenty for us and to share with select neighbors and friends. In mid august we got a visit from the code department advising that my chickens are illegal without either living on more than three acres or getting a special use permit. We have grown so attached to the girls that I am of course applying for the permit. Odd enough I wasn't told I couldn't have the ducks. Apparently they are considered customary pets. Hmmmm. If anyone has advice on how to get through the permit process I am all ears. Once my permit is approved (I hope) I plan on lobbying our city council to change the ordinance to allow hens.

I look forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks for all the great advice I've already been reading.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined! [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Hope you get your permit [​IMG] I am familiar with the town of Olathe, I get my hostas from Made in the Shade Gardens there.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG], and good luck with your permit

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Fingers crossed.

8. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by