Hello from the land of OZ

OZchicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Olathe KS
Hi all. I thought I should finally join and introduce myself. Every time I search the web for information on chickens there is ways great advice that comes from this forum. I live in Olathe KS. I have had a trio of ducks for several years. Sadly we lost one last winter so now I have only two-both Pekins. This spring we decided to get some chickens. I have 6 hens that just started laying in August. It's nice to get a half a dozen eggs every day. Plenty for us and to share with select neighbors and friends. In mid august we got a visit from the code department advising that my chickens are illegal without either living on more than three acres or getting a special use permit. We have grown so attached to the girls that I am of course applying for the permit. Odd enough I wasn't told I couldn't have the ducks. Apparently they are considered customary pets. Hmmmm. If anyone has advice on how to get through the permit process I am all ears. Once my permit is approved (I hope) I plan on lobbying our city council to change the ordinance to allow hens.

I look forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks for all the great advice I've already been reading.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Happy you joined!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom