hello from the middle of Nowhere, CA

foxflower

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Surprise Valley, CA
Hello, we are VERY rural in northern CA. We have an old barred rock and a bantam BB red OEG rooster, 25 head cattle (or so), 1 horse, 2 cats, 1 dog, and lots of wildlife. I have been researching chicken breeds and google keeps referencing this site, so thought I'd join up. I am not new to chicken ownership, but only have the 2 right now because of the great coon masacre. I was also tired of stepping in the you-know-what of free-range chickens. But, I'm tired of commercial eggs and we all love chickens, sooo I'm going for it again and will build better enclosures
wink.png
I am looking forward to reading posts and communicating with other chicken enthusiasts.

So you say you have yourself some animals and afew chickens do you. Well I was just wondering how the coons got into your rural set up. Cause out in my area of denmark Nova Scotia Canada if you didn't already know we got prety well every kind of wild life in the summer. If it comes from bears, coons, bobcats, neighboors animals (cats), and one of the most brazen coyotes I have ever known. So all i wanted to know was how they got in, because out at my place we are building or you could say improving the most safest coop possible. Luckily i haven't had any problem but i know what it feels like to lose some of the feathered friends.

P.S What the weather like down there?
D.gif
:cd:cd:cd I am usally online after i have finished chores
caf.gif
:caf

Anyways welcome to Back yard chickens:welcome

Devin
Denmark, Nova Scotia

Well, it looks like they dug under the coop, or got a board off the outside corner (seems too small there though). The chickes were freaked and starting staying out at night, so most got picked off out there. The coons harassed the dog once to often too, so then the coons went bye bye. Interestly, we had a lone survivor: the barred rock hen. She is great example of her breed and is still doing well. She is 7-8 years old now and roosts on the porch. No coon, skunk, coyote, weasel, etc. has ever been able to get her. She's tame too. I think we'll get a roo from our brother in law and try to get chick from her this year before she quits laying entirely. I'd love to here about your predator reinforcements as building a tougher coop in on my spring list.
big_smile.png
The one we used before is really old (the whole place is "old" by western US standards).

The weather down here is changeable...sun and snow yesterday, gray and breezey today. Temps are fluctuating between 40s and 50s in the day and 30s at night. Maybe warmer than up your way? Closest I've been to your neighborhood is the airport in Newfoundland--very pretty to fly into.

Jeaucamom, We are sort of neighbors....we live several hours north of you in Surprise Valley--at the edge of Nevada and Oregon. If you were to look at a map of the US at night (where it shows light patterns), we are at the edge of that huge black hole! You live in a nice area too, I like Auburn, but don't remember having ever been to Ophir.

Welcome! I've been pouring over both the coops pages and the predators pages in hopes of building an impenatrable fortress for my own chickens. There are a lot of things on there that I never would have thought about until after the fact so you might want to give those pages a look. We've got 50-60 pound raccoons here that have no fear so we've got our work cut out for us!

Back
Top Bottom