Hello from the mountains of Arizona!

Chicky Crone

In the Brooder
May 27, 2019
I'm 56, retired and living in north central AZ at an elevation of about 6000 feet. I've been a chicken fan for a long time, but only recently my area reclassified chickens as domestic pets instead of livestock. So I finally have 7. I started with 4 Plymouth Rock pullets. On their third day, the sewer had backed up into the tub they were in during the night and all 4 drowned. :( Horrible lesson learned.

My husband brought me 4 Barred Rock pullets the next day. My plumber brought 3 straight run Leghorns the same day. So now I have 3 GIANT 15 week old leghorns who are almost too huge to walk, and my 4 Barred, catching up in height but not anywhere near the size of the Leghorns. But they are quick and animated and hilarious... they definitely show me the connection between birds and dinosaurs.

Here's my questionnaire:
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? First time!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 7 ~ 3 Leghorn hens and 4 Barred Rock hens

(3) What breeds do you have? Leghorns and Barred Rocks

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? The hilarity! They are so much fun. I have MS and they are amazing for distracting me when I'm in pain. And fresh eggs are just heavenly.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Brewing beer and mead, watching the grandchildren grow (5), canning and baking

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My hubby of 25 years (On 6/10/2019) is a silviculturist with the Tonto National Forest. 3 adult kids, ages 34, 29 and 25. Rural life is heaven.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I am a hen virgin, and collect all the information and advice I can find it. But BYC has the GREATEST people! So helpful!

Welcome to BYC!

Are you positive you have leghorns? Do they look like this? (Picture of Cornish Cross shown)
broilers_02.jpg

(not my photo)

They are similar but with much longer feathers, redder combs and wattles. The combs are at least twice if not 3 times that size, and very curly tailfeathers. Since the plumber who was fixing his mistake that drowned the first 3 brought them with him, I'm not positive about anything. They came from a private breeder. My Barreds came from Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
They are similar but with much longer feathers, redder combs and wattles. The combs are at least twice if not 3 times that size, and very curly tailfeathers. Since the plumber who was fixing his mistake that drowned the first 3 brought them with him, I'm not positive about anything. They came from a private breeder. My Barreds came from Tractor Supply.
Can you post a few pictures of them?

Back
Top Bottom