Hello from the New River Gorge, WV!

SweetMouseFarm

Hatching
Aug 4, 2016
Victor, WV
Hello and thank you for letting us be a part of this wonderful forum. We have a 15 acre farm/homestead located in Victor, WV aka 'The Middle of Nowhere' and that's just how we like it. We have got back into raising chickens again after taking a few years off. We lost our entire flock of 150+ layers, 25 meat birds, 24 guinea, 6 ducks and 6 turkey 3 years ago to Coons, a fisher and dogs from the farm down the road. We have since built a MUCH better coop and acquired a Great Pyrenees LSGD. We know have 90-100 layers, 12 meat birds, 7 turkey, 100ish Coturnix quail, and a few guinea. Im hoping to start breedi,ng heritage & rare breeds again. We are currently keeping Cochins ( Blue, Buff, Red, Partridge and what I call Speckled) Ameraucana, Araucana, RIR, NH Reds, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahma, Delaware, Pearl White Leghorn, Dominique, Cuckoo Maran, Black Copper Maran, Welsummer, Red Cochin Bantam, Buff Cochin Bantam, Black Tailed Japanese Bantam, Silkie(Black, Blue, Buff, White) Mille Fluer Bantam, Black Spanish Turkey, Blue Slate Turkey, Pearl & Slate Guinea and Coturnix quail. We are always looking for Rare or Heritage breeds we don't currently have. All over our birds except quail are raised free range on pasture. We love and baby everyone of birds and they seem to like interacting with all the goats, lamb and pigs. We are still learning for sure but we very much enjoy our birds. Our 19 month old daughter helps with all the animals daily and helps us sell everything at Market. Thanks again for letting us join this amazing forum!

Sweet Mouse Farm
Josh, Tabitha & Willow Stover

Greetings from Kansas, SweetMouseFarm, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Wow! You've got quite the poultry operation going there! Must keep you busy. Best of luck to you and your farm!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Thanks. We definitely stay busy on the farm with the chickens and all the other animals but I am hoping to expand our poultry operation even more next year. Hoping to get a real nice incubator this fall/winter to get ready for next spring. We are really wanting to start breeding a lot of rare and heritage breeds next year. Im trying to do the farming thing full time so I can be at home with my daughter and wife. My wife is a professional photographer so she works from home. Its very important to me that I get as much time as possible with my girls and I quit a really good job at the hospital to be able to farm and be home with my girls. Things are going well but we are definitely on a much tighter budget but SOOO worth it. I'll try to post pictures of some of our birds soon. Thanks again for welcoming me to the group!

Sweet Mouse Farm
Josh, Tabitha & Willow Stover

Nice to meet you. It is so nice when the entire family gets involved. I bet your young daughter is the best salesgirl. I get exhausted just thinking of all those birds to care for, I'm no spring chicken (except on my t-shirt)..Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock.

Nice to meet you. It is so nice when the entire family gets involved. I bet your young daughter is the best salesgirl. I get exhausted just thinking of all those birds to care for, I'm no spring chicken (except on my t-shirt)..Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock.

Our daughter Willow, absolutely loves the birds! Especially the Silkies and the Turkeys. The money from the quail eggs is all hers and will be going towards her education or a car if she gets a scholarship. I'm just glad we are able to raise her and hopefully a few more children way out in God's country without all the distractions from society. I hope to god she enjoys farming and living in the country. If not she's gonna be a bit upset since it takes 45 minutes to get to town and almost 2 hours to get to the closest 'Big' city. Not any real BIG cities in WV but I try my best to stay out of the cities anyway. She's definitely going to grow up knowing where her food comes from and know that it's much better to eat happy animals without a bunch of crap pumped into them. She has already witnessed chicken and quail being butchered and will see a hog and lamb cut up soon. She handled us killing the birds very well and thought it was hilarious watching the birds flop around in the plucker. I hope she grows up to be an amazing, tough and intelligent woman like her mother!

Back
Top Bottom