Hello from the outskirts of London

relos

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Not new to backyardchickens.com (a lurker) but recently registered - this is probably the best place on the internet for the all the info and problems you'll face with raising chickens!

Currently I have 6 hyline hens and 2 polish (1 rooster, 1 hen), 1 month old chicks. Truth be told I got the hylines for the eggs and the polish ones for cuddling. (I was told polish chickens are very friendly and so far from what I've seen it's true)

I had a recent mishap (fox took 3 hylines and 1 polish) but hope that'll be the last - anyway all the best!

You may want to check out the predator threads for help preventing more fox attacks. Once they have been successful, they will keep coming back until you don't have any birds left.

Hi :welcome from Yorkshire!

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear about your fox attack, it sure is devastating when they strike. Have you beefed up security for your birds as there is a high risk of the fox returning now it knows there is food available.
Great to hear your polish have turned out well for cuddling. I keep mainly polish and they sure are a super friendly breed.
Please do pop by and say hi on the uk thread that CT left you the link for :)

Good luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Hi :welcome from Yorkshire!

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear about your fox attack, it sure is devastating when they strike. Have you beefed up security for your birds as there is a high risk of the fox returning now it knows there is food available.
Great to hear your polish have turned out well for cuddling. I keep mainly polish and they sure are a super friendly breed.
Please do pop by and say hi on the uk thread that CT left you the link for :)

Good luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Cheers thanks for the warm welcome, yes still sad about it but that's life :/ Indeed unless the fox can rip metal or strip 1.5 inch thick wood, dig under patio slabs it's not getting through - there's already an 8ft run (with welded mesh - also added an extra thicker double one all over) which came with the coop but I plan to add another 12m sq run/cage to make them even more "free range".

Yep the hyline chicks only come to your hand for treats, whereas the polish regardless of food always rest on your hand/lap and seem to want affection.

Thanks again, my first time having chickens but now my other future concern will not be the fox but the neighbour who complains about everything :( (I have a polish rooster in the flock)...

Back
Top Bottom