Hello from the pan handle of WV (newbie)

amarook

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Wellsburg
Hi!
My name is Jen. We recently relocated to WV.
For the first time in my adult life we have a nice big backyard.
I'm planning on getting my first chickens this year. I've been reading a lot online, and also in books. I got a book from the library, and bought one from Tractor Supply.
big_smile.png

I know that I want a good dual purpose bird. I'm thinking about getting Rhode Island Reds.
There is a woman not far from me that has chicks that just hatched last Saturday. She says they are not vaccinated or debeaked.

I want to have enough chickens that we have eggs for ourselves, and my sister's family if they want some. She lives a few houses down from me. I figure on getting more birds than we would actually need to start out with because of chicks being so fragile. If all of them survive, then some will end up in the freezer when they are grown.

What should I know before I bring these guys home?

It looks like there will be TONS for me to learn here, and I look forward to it!
Thanks much!
wink.png

~Jen

Hi Jen! You will learn so much on BYC. I found alot of help by using the search page at the top of the screen.
Congrats on a new big backyard!

Cheers!
smile.png

opps, double post...not sure how it happend?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

The most important thing peeps don't have when they bring home baby chicks for the first time is a heat lamp. The chicks will need it 95 F under the heat lamp for the 1st week then 5 degrees less per week until about 6 weeks when they are fully feathered. You'll also need large enough of a brooder box so if they get hot they can move away from the heat lamp.

I live in Berkeley Springs. Welcome. I love my Orpingtons. They are a great dual purpose birds. My second favorite dual are my Partridge Plymouth Rocks.

This is the right place to find out information. You will also be surprised at how many people from our area are on this board.

WELCOME!!!

Have the brooder ready,heat lamp ready (and make sure it cant fall) have one area of the brooder heated and the other not heated so if the chicks get too hot they can move to another part of the brooder to cool off.
smile.png

That's great she doesnt debeak, my personal oppinon is chicks should have the chance to proove themselves as being docile before they get their beaks clipped.

Some people say that Road Island Reds (RIRs) are aggressive birds, so be sure to ask about their parents and if you can ask to see them and interact with them. Curiosity is one thing but if they come after you aggressively taht's another. I've never met an aggressive one myself but do know a few who say they have.

Again welcome and you're going to be addicted in no time to HERE and to chickens! LOL!

I just got a heat lamp yesterday. It was on sale.
smile.png

As far as a brooder, I have a lard old guinea pig cage, could I use that as a brooder?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom