Hello from the Philippine Islands!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I can't say for sure RIRs will thrive in your environment however we certainly have tons of humid swampy air on this side of the world and they do just fine.

Definitely cover your cement with something for padding the hard surface and to absorb poop. Either sand, (purchased or harvested from nature in a clean area) or possibly wood chips/mulch. Either of these will tolerate wet humid weather if you turn it over occasionally.

Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)

Bon here from the Philippines!

Very new to chicken raising, haven't even started yet but has been taking my time reading and learning online materials, and now I end up to this forum through the fb page backyard chickens.

My family is experienced in raising big flock of chickens in our farm in the province, but I am currently based in the city. Now I found a place on our roof deck and I thought a small chicken coop and a supply of fresh eggs shouldn't be a bad idea!

Currently already drawn an A-frame design that will occupy 8' by 5' area. And targeting to get Rhode island Reds once the coop is done.

My other concerns that I haven't sorted yet are:

1. My country has only two seasons: very hot and dry summer, and very wet and humid rainy season. Are Rhode island reds okay for this kind of weather? What other breeds would you recommend?

2. Since I live in the city and planning to build the coop on a concrete floored roof deck - what will be the best bedding / floor cover for my coop? Has to be easy to clean. I am also willing to make compost out of the waste.

Other things about myself -- I am a Human Resources professional working in Manila, and a surfer on the weekends.

Cheers!

Welcome. In the past few years, I've worked with a few folks from Philippines! One a Physical Therapist, and the other is director of Recreational Therapy.

I would suggest that you look at white Leghorn as your breed of choice. IMO, a white bird with huge comb will be better able to deal with the heat of your climate. As for the A frame style building, I suggest that you opt for a standard shed style, or center peaked roof, with huge overhang on all 4 sides. make the structure at least 4' tall at the walls. The reason being that you will be able to provide better ventilation in a roofed/vertical wall structure than in an A frame. Also, the A frame would collect more heat energy than the roof of the latter design. And the A frame would not allow as much usable space in the structure. Will you be able to put a fan in your coop? Can you hook it down so it won't go sailing in a strong wind?

Do you have an option to build your coop on the ground? A natural need for chickens is for them to dig and scratch in the soil, enjoying the insects, soil, and vegetation in the process.

Any issues with predators? Including snakes, rats? If so, your coop should have 1/2" hardware cloth covering all openings.

Welcome. In the past few years, I've worked with a few folks from Philippines! One a Physical Therapist, and the other is director of Recreational Therapy.

I would suggest that you look at white Leghorn as your breed of choice. IMO, a white bird with huge comb will be better able to deal with the heat of your climate. As for the A frame style building, I suggest that you opt for a standard shed style, or center peaked roof, with huge overhang on all 4 sides. make the structure at least 4' tall at the walls. The reason being that you will be able to provide better ventilation in a roofed/vertical wall structure than in an A frame. Also, the A frame would collect more heat energy than the roof of the latter design. And the A frame would not allow as much usable space in the structure. Will you be able to put a fan in your coop? Can you hook it down so it won't go sailing in a strong wind?

Do you have an option to build your coop on the ground? A natural need for chickens is for them to dig and scratch in the soil, enjoying the insects, soil, and vegetation in the process.

Any issues with predators? Including snakes, rats? If so, your coop should have 1/2" hardware cloth covering all openings.
Thank you for these recommendations.

I'll look into these breeds before deciding which one to get.

Regarding the coop structure design, I am looking to do an A frame because I would like to build a structure with the least materials needed. I also worry about making a tall structure because my spot is on an open area on top of a 3-storey building, with 4 foot surrounding walls. Strong winds from typhoons might blow it away if I make a tall one. I think a low A-frame next to the concrete wall has a better chance against strong winds. And so, also no option for a ground. The structure is meant for 4 or 5 chickens only btw.

No issue with predators. Maybe some city rats, but our place is fairly clean and well maintained. I only see some little mice occasionally.

Rhode island Reds and White leghorns are the easier to acquire breeds over here. White leghorns are widely used in big poultry farms. Still undecided, but gearing towards RIRs.
That is a good choice! Both breeds are fairly resistant to disease

G’Day from Far North Queensland Bon :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom