Hello from the Sunshine State

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nacho Chicken Mine, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Nacho Chicken Mine

Nacho Chicken Mine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Greetings from the Sunshine State...
    I am pretty new to the poultry world of ownership and the list. My daughter has such a fun time showing some chickens in 4-H this year (we kept them at her friends house) that we decided to go ahead and get some of our own to bring home.
    So, here is a quick run down of our poultry story
    We wanted some Speckled Sussex but was unable to locate a breeder so, we ordered some Mottled Java's in an order with a friends Silver Lakenvelders.
    Our order received Mid May and we were lucky and only lost one chick right after receiving them. Out of the thirty we received we only lost 4 (one Java and 3 Lakenvelders) - friend stated she would take care of them until they were old enough to come home and not need a light anymore for warmth.
    Okay....got the chicks, now where am I supposed to keep them when they come home. So, off to Lowes to obtain a 10x10 kennel and harware cloth for
    reinforcement on the sides near the bottom.
    We have the perfect spot in the barn wash rack (under a roof and cement flooring). Kennel is all set up, reinforced to keep out the unwaned critters, bags and bags of play sand added to the floor and shavings. Okay now we are ready for the "chicklets" to come home.
    We ended up with nine (4 cockrels and 5 pullets). The chicks settled into their new home and all is going well.
    A problem erupts as since the kennel is now located at the barn the horsey critters think that the chain link is just perfect for scratching thier big butts on and I am now forced to thing of something to keep them off the kennel. I ended up with a strand of hot wire (not my first choice). Certainly keeps them off.
    My daughter will go out and sit in the kennel (coop) with the "chicklets" for hours. I have found that I REALLY, REALLY LOVE the Java breed (not having an knowledge of them). Can't wait for them to get their adult color so we can see just how mottled they will be. Daughter is looking forward to showing them.
    We still want to get some Speckled Sussex and some Blue Orps to show.

I know that if we need some assistance are many knowledgeable "peeps" on this forum that will help out.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! You'll learn lots here!! [​IMG]

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You can PM "math ace," she has Speckled Sussex. She is located in north Florida.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from SE Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I am sure you will enjoy your time here! It is addictive!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by