Hello From the U.P. of MI!

fishermum

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
U.P. of MI
Hello everyone!
I live in the U.P. of Michigan (and yes, it is SNOWING right now!).

I have had chickens for 2 years now. My first 3 were chicks that I adopted from my son's school (the 1st grade teacher hatched them as a class project). They were Cochin Bantys and I fell in love!
smile.png

I had 2 hens and a rooster--the rooster was my favourite. He would come running whenever I called and hop up onto my knee or lap! My 2 year old would pick him up and haul him around, and he never seemed to mind!

I built a small henhouse, but never fenced them in, as I loved the fact that they would roam around the yard freely, and always came running when I called.

Alas, a predator (I believe it was a fox) got my rooster and my favourite hen last summer.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I am currently waiting for the 6 chicks I ordered to arrive (first week in May). I could not get my favourite (the Cochins) and had to settle for an 'assortment' of bantys that includes 2 blue silkies (what awesome looking chickens those silkies are).

This year I also wanted to try my hand with some ducks. I ordered 15 Rouen ducklings (they should be arriving early-mid May). A friend was supposed to take half of them, but has since backed out. The more research I do (and the more threads I read on here) about ducks, the more worried I am about having so many...Ideally, I'd like to keep 2 or 3 as pets, along with my bantys. The one thing I have heard the most is that ducks are MESSY, MESSY, MESSY! And loud, LOL!

About me: I am married to a wonderful man, and we have 2 boys aged 10 and 3.5. I have a fishing problem so my husband says (I'll admit, it's true), so any spare time I get I'm out fishing!
big_smile.png

We love to hike, canoe and spend time up at our cabin.

I look forward to meeting you wonderful people, and to learning as much as I can about my chickens, and (eek!) ducks.

p.s. If anyone nearby wants some Rouen ducklings, pm me. I'll sell them cheap!
lol.png

Last edited:
Welcome!! I don't want any ducks but hopefully you find some good homes. It would be neat to have one, I know my township has a duck that wanders about 4 different neighborhoods including mine, his owner lives a few houses down. There used to be two but one died. They are very cool to watch in the morning in our backyard
smile.png
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

my brother and his wife live in the U.P.!

I also have ducks (8) and they are messy. The great things about them are that they are wonderful comic relief and great layers! The not so great is the mess, and the smell. I think a few as pets is a great idea for a first time duck owner. Advertise your extras and hopefully you'll find homes for them all.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom