Hello from the Upper Left Edge

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Izzywinz, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Izzywinz

Izzywinz New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Hello to all, from Coastal Oregon, at the end of the Lewis and Clark trail.

I'm new to chickens, starting May 2013. We bought 6 chicks from the feed store and they lived in a huge aquarium on the couch for a month, until we figured out what to do with them next. A month later my husband brought home 2 more "gift" chicks, along with 4 turkey poults that were supposed to be released to populate the wild when age-appropriate, but turned out to be double-breasted waddlers who follow us everywhere and come running and warbling to greet the UPS man.

I thought that getting 6 chicks, we might end up with 3 or 4, more than we would need. But they all thrived, and with the added 2 now it seems like just right....... until the need for more sets in.

They entertain and amuse us no end, and give presents every day - far more than we can use. All winter so far! No added light. We share them with friends.

There were 2 each Buff Orp, Barred Rock, Production Red, and the last little 2, Rhode Island Red. Now there's only 1 Buff - - - Coyote breakfast :'( after her first illicit night out on a hidden nest.

We live on rural property with 2 dogs (Collie & Cockapoo) one remaining elderly llama, 3 horses I inherited from my daughter, and 3 colonies of feral cats: the llama has his own cats, and one of the cat-groups lost its mother early so they are the kind of feral cats that follow us everywhere, stare in the windows, and climb up my husband's pantleg.

Our little henhouse - only, now I am calling it our *starter* henhouse - is a cedar storybook playhouse from Costco, reinforced with a cement floor and hardware cloth. It opens onto a large wire-covered yard, which also houses a chicken tractor we got for the newer chicks but they never used. It is the preferred location for laying. In spite of the large yard, they always want out to roam.

I hope for a larger poultry house in the coming year, with walk-in stand-up clearance, room for more feathered friends, and storage. Also high on my wishlist is a covered part to the play yard, we have so many very rainy and windy days here.

Cheers to all, glad to be in good chicken company.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Great intro :)

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your poultry adventures!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicken projects!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and hello from the mid right edge.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by