Hello from the Welsh lady new to hen keeping

Lila77

Chirping
Oct 3, 2022
Hey chicken community! Just joined in the hope that I can learn about keeping my recently acquired rescue hens. They’ve been an absolute delight so far although one is very poorly at the moment :( hoping I can help her live her best free range life after being in a factory for 18 months.
Nice to meet you all!
Lila and the hens in Wales :)

one is very poorly at the moment

No idea what’s up with her but trying to out. Posted on here in case anyone can help!
you'll need to give us as much info as possible to get a chance at a decent diagnosis over the internet. Photos are useful to illustrate your description of exactly what the symptoms are, what she eats, where she lives, what her poop looks like, how she is behaving etc.

This was my earlier post about my poorly hen, thanks for reading and any advice you may have.

Evening. I rescued four battery farm chickens two weeks ago and all has seemed fine. They are 18 months old.
The scrawniest one hasn’t been laying and her health has deteriorated over the past two days.
She has been lathargic for three days now and is now standing still with her eyes closed. Today she isn’t eating or drinking and is hardly pooping either.
The other hens aren’t displaying any of these symptoms.
There is no bleeding.
She has been eating layers mash and I have introduced some pellets.
She has been free ranging in my garden so has also been eating grass I assume.
Her poop has been white and runny for the past two days and I haven’t seen her poop at all in the past few hours.
So far I have given her some water through a syringe and have tried some olive oil which was recommended in case she had a sour crop. Her crop feels soft and mushy.
I would like to help her as soon as I can. I have spoken to the local vet who can see her tomorrow afternoon which may be too late.
She sleeps in a coop with the other hens. I don’t have alternative sleeping aras for her but have a large cat carry case.
If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it greatly, I’m completely new to keeping hens but would love to save her if I can.
Thanks for any advice you may have

Back
Top Bottom