Hello from Tomball, TX (Houston Area)....

ConnorClan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 7, 2009
Tomball, TX
Wanted to drop a note to say hello and that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading here in the past week or so.

We are just gearing up to jump into chickens and the information here has been great! I should have our coop finished up today or tomorrow and will be fencing our pen in this weekend. Then it is time to start looking for the inhabitants.

We are going to have between 6 and 8 hens. Our coop is a 4x4x4 with external nest boxes and the pen area is about 10 x 25 feet. I am not new to livestock having grown up raising rabbits, pigs and horses but my family is new to this so it should be a blast!.

Thanks again for all of the information!

If anyone is in the Tomball area, drop me a line. It would be great to meet some others and find out some lines on birds.

Ron

welcome-byc.gif

Glad to have you here. You'll love chickens! They are so much fun. I have Silkies and Australorps.

Have you decided on what breeds you are going to get? We all like pictures around here.

hugs.gif

The short list right now is:

EE's
Barred Rock
Orphington
Australorp
RIR

I'm sure that will change as we get closer to buying though.. lol

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome, fellow Texan!
frow.gif

I think that's a great list, and you should get 2 of each
wink.png
I love having a variety of birds, and I have 10 more new babies coming tomorrow
jumpy.gif
I just got started with chickens in January, and I'm totally hooked...they are GREAT!

Hi,

I'm also new here. I live in Needville, TX (about 45 min SW of downtown Houston, off of Hwy 59 South)

I'm new to chickens too. I bought 4 chickens earlier this year. I put in my fancy chicken tractor my Dad built for me.

I got 3 EE (Easter Eggers) and a Buff Orpington from someone on Craig's list.

I then ordered 8 EEs (sexed females) and 5 Cuckoo Marans (straight run), plus I got a bonus chick that looks to be a black Australorp. They got here in June and are all still alive. I am so proud. They won't start laying until November, but I am enjoying watching them grow so quickly.

My older 4 have just started laying. I am surprised to find how much I still enjoy checking for eggs.
smile.png

Good luck with your new pets/friends,

-Joycelyn
DiamondJFarms.com

Back
Top Bottom