Hello from Tucson!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MohawkJEn, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MohawkJEn

MohawkJEn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    I haven't read much yet on the forum. Just checking in letting myself be known.
    We started with chicks just about 7 months ago. Our babies our somewhere between 7 and 8 months old now, some are laying and some are not. I read, read, read, read, and then read some more. I think I might have known more about the chickens before they knew me. It was a really fast decision, we bought the chicks and then I built the coup and hen house while they lived in our bathroom. Took me about three days to build the coup, and we transfered the babies in the house at night because it was still to cold and they did not have enough feathers to stay warm, at least we thought. I built the hen house in three more days and the ladies were stoked....Even though now none of them sleep in it. We think it is because it is two hot out yet. Anyway we got a mixed selection....3 barred rock, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Americanas, and 2 Whyandotts(spelling?). They are wonderful together. One of the Road Island reds is soooooo friendly she asks to be picked up, and despite all my reading about the chickens and many suggestions about not naming them, We named them all. They are so loved and totally part of the family. I still read though not as much. The coup isn't that much, it's just dirt I built some jungle gym stuff for them recently so they can get more excercise. They all seem really happy! What I have learned is that I do need more information and could use help some days, but so far so good.
    The other part we have six people in the family. 2 kids and 4 adults, we are all home full time. The summer was hard keeping the chickens comfortable, but we figured it out, and they all lived. Anyway just a small introduction of my life story recently. Hope to be a help to the forum as well as get some back. JEn

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] the Learning Center is a great place to start. If you want to find people in your area go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. Then you can locate and post on your state thread. We have many members in Arizona - they should be able to give you more tricks to getting the chickens thru all the heat.

3. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    I just joined this week too. I am in Havasu and we plan to get our chicks before the end of October.

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

5. heidisue

heidisue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Marana, Arizona
    Hi :) I'm in marana/picture rocks

6. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    Hello [​IMG].

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Welcome from College Station, Texas. Sounds like you're learning by doing, and you're doing fine. BYC is a good resource, and there's lots of learning from one another.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by