Hello from Tucson!!

MohawkJEn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 27, 2013
I haven't read much yet on the forum. Just checking in letting myself be known.
We started with chicks just about 7 months ago. Our babies our somewhere between 7 and 8 months old now, some are laying and some are not. I read, read, read, read, and then read some more. I think I might have known more about the chickens before they knew me. It was a really fast decision, we bought the chicks and then I built the coup and hen house while they lived in our bathroom. Took me about three days to build the coup, and we transfered the babies in the house at night because it was still to cold and they did not have enough feathers to stay warm, at least we thought. I built the hen house in three more days and the ladies were stoked....Even though now none of them sleep in it. We think it is because it is two hot out yet. Anyway we got a mixed selection....3 barred rock, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Americanas, and 2 Whyandotts(spelling?). They are wonderful together. One of the Road Island reds is soooooo friendly she asks to be picked up, and despite all my reading about the chickens and many suggestions about not naming them, We named them all. They are so loved and totally part of the family. I still read though not as much. The coup isn't that much, it's just dirt I built some jungle gym stuff for them recently so they can get more excercise. They all seem really happy! What I have learned is that I do need more information and could use help some days, but so far so good.
The other part we have six people in the family. 2 kids and 4 adults, we are all home full time. The summer was hard keeping the chickens comfortable, but we figured it out, and they all lived. Anyway just a small introduction of my life story recently. Hope to be a help to the forum as well as get some back. JEn

welcome-byc.gif
the Learning Center is a great place to start. If you want to find people in your area go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. Then you can locate and post on your state thread. We have many members in Arizona - they should be able to give you more tricks to getting the chickens thru all the heat.

Back
Top Bottom