Hello from TX! I am getting ready to DIVE IN!

TXmama4boys

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Texas Hill Country
Hello everyone! My family and I are residing north of San Antonio. I have 3 awesome boys all under the age of 6 and an amazing husband. I am so excited to be here. I was on here a bit last year in reference to my quail. I am now getting ready to get a little crazy and dive into helping my sister with her chickens and start my own flock. I could use a shove in the right direction by some seasoned pros. ;) If you are willing to read through, I have a couple questions.

Long story short, my sister is 15 yrs old. She has a 2-3 yr old flock of chickens who have been laying well all up until recent. She does not own a rooster. My thought was to get her a rooster and see if we could breed a new flock of chicks. She has 3-4 very broody hens. I am wondering if this is a tricky way to try to get some chick production if her chickens have never had chicks? Would it just be better to buy some fertilized eggs and have the hens lay on them? I have little knowledge as to what to do at this stage of a chicken's life.

As to starting my own flock, we live on a piece of land that has an old chicken coop already built on it (like early 1900s old), but in working condition. YAY! So, why not make it useful? right? I am so excited. Anyway, I am just wondering if now is too early to get some fertilized eggs and an incubator.

Thanks for reading!
Thanks in advance for advice.

-TXmama3boys

Egg production decreases each year of a hens life if you buy a rooster you'd have to wait a few week for fertility to peak so probably buying fertile eggs would be your best bet if you wanted the Broodies to set on them for you

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. :eek:) If you're going to get a rooster, I'd get another 4 hens or so to go with those 3 or 4. The recommended ration of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens as they mature; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in this regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You got some good advice from the above posters. Get her some hens as well as a rooster and let the broodies hatch eggs for her for replacement hens. Here is a good article on adding chickens to an established flock: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom