Hello from TX! I am getting ready to DIVE IN!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TXmama3boys, Dec 10, 2014.

1. TXmama3boys

TXmama3boys Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone! My family and I are residing north of San Antonio. I have 3 awesome boys all under the age of 6 and an amazing husband. I am so excited to be here. I was on here a bit last year in reference to my quail. I am now getting ready to get a little crazy and dive into helping my sister with her chickens and start my own flock. I could use a shove in the right direction by some seasoned pros. ;) If you are willing to read through, I have a couple questions.

Long story short, my sister is 15 yrs old. She has a 2-3 yr old flock of chickens who have been laying well all up until recent. She does not own a rooster. My thought was to get her a rooster and see if we could breed a new flock of chicks. She has 3-4 very broody hens. I am wondering if this is a tricky way to try to get some chick production if her chickens have never had chicks? Would it just be better to buy some fertilized eggs and have the hens lay on them? I have little knowledge as to what to do at this stage of a chicken's life.

As to starting my own flock, we live on a piece of land that has an old chicken coop already built on it (like early 1900s old), but in working condition. YAY! So, why not make it useful? right? I am so excited. Anyway, I am just wondering if now is too early to get some fertilized eggs and an incubator.

Thanks for reading!
    Thanks in advance for advice.

-TXmama3boys

2. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    Egg production decreases each year of a hens life if you buy a rooster you'd have to wait a few week for fertility to peak so probably buying fertile eggs would be your best bet if you wanted the Broodies to set on them for you

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. :eek:) If you're going to get a rooster, I'd get another 4 hens or so to go with those 3 or 4. The recommended ration of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens as they mature; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in this regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You got some good advice from the above posters. Get her some hens as well as a rooster and let the broodies hatch eggs for her for replacement hens. Here is a good article on adding chickens to an established flock: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]We're glad to have you.

You've received some good information already![​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

The other posters have given you some good advice.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think whatever route you choose your sister will be very happy. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

9. spitfirecream15

spitfirecream15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    In the Boondocks
    Hi! Welcome to BYC! There is lots of great info on here so glad you joined and hope you can find solutions to any problems that arise.
    spitfirecream15

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by