1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from TX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by solanaskyes, Aug 25, 2011.

1. solanaskyes

solanaskyes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    I've been lurking on these forums for almost a year, finally decided to register!

I currently live in North TX and have approximately 30 guinea fowl (French, white, lavender, royal purple, violet, slate, coral blue, and buff dondette), 10 Easter eggers, and 3 generic red Tractor Supply hens lol. I started with the guineas to control bugs and weeds, then added the chickens a few months later. The TS hens and guineas are laying, I expect the EEs to start any time now. The birds free range on 5.5 acres and have a house to roost in, though it's hard to get the guineas to use it. I'm hoping to put up a barn in our back pasture this Fall and train the guineas to go in before winter (they already come when called for a white millet treat). We have 2 Anatolian Shepherds that are excellent flock guardians.

Besides the chickens, we also raise and show Champion Skye Terriers and campaign one of the top Skyes in the USA (shameless plug: GCH CH Solana Big Lebowski ). We've also been showing the aforementioned Anatolians for the last 2 years. The dogs and shows keep me pretty busy year-round, and I've toyed with the idea of picking a breed of chicken to raise and possibly show as well, but that would be down the road after I gain more experience with them.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] from MO

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! EE eggs are awesome! I got my very first one today.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

6. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Sounds like you have some beautiful colors in guineas, especially the royal purple [​IMG]
    Lots of good luck with all of your animals [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] Come introduce yourself on the BYC Texas Thread (see my siggy)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by