Hello from up in Maine

whitemountainbunnies

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2017
We have 6 hens and a rooster living in our backyard in a coop. and run. We let them out but stay with them since there are plenty of critters up on the hill including at least one fox, and we used to have 7 hens... until one vanished when they were out ranging around about a month ago. They are 1 year old and laid eggs all winter, we are always giving eggs away (it's not a loss, people always seem to come up with some return gift we can use). They are also very happy and seem to adore us (I guess because we bring them snacks). We like them too. Our poor rooster hurt his leg almost as soon as we got him so he limps around, very calm Buff Orphington, he does ok. The hens are 2 Barred Rocks, a copper Wyandotte, a black Australoop, and two reddish "sex links". They are all very different in personality. They eat organic so we have nice organic eggs. I'm a little worried because we ordered 4 buff Orphington chicks and 4 Easter Eggers (8 girls) and then 12 fast growing "meat" white ones ... we are trying this out, but to integrate the new girl chicks should be a challenge, and our group is so happy right now I hope it goes ok. I don't know if we should keep all 8, too many eggs, but I got them just in case, or ... eat the extras I guess. I'll keep the white "meat" ones separate, they supposedly only grow for 2 months. We also have Silver Fox rabbits (a heritage dul purpose breed) which we started with this year, blacks and blues. Would LOVE a chocolate doe. Would love ducks and maybe quail but we have a pretty small lot so maybe we need to stop lol. Does anyone raise worms or meal worms? I am wondering how to feed the chickens and even rabbits without depending so much on the feed store. I know they would eat less if they free ranged but we have a wooded hill behind us and a busy street in front...

32A81637-593D-4983-8A41-D48EDCE609EB.jpeg CCE7B631-0E79-4EFF-B293-B1C5B07ADD82.jpeg I love Maine! I also have a Cornish Cross and at five weeks he is bigger than our cat. He loves to dig around in the dirt but gets bullied a little by the hens, every time he finds a bug treat he gets all excited and then one of my girls will take it out of his beak. I feel so bad for the fat thing. He isn’t much for exercise like the girls are, he mostly just want to dig giant holes and lay in them. He also keeps one eye on that food tray at all times, it’s his best friend.

:welcome so glad you have joined us.

So sorry about your loss. I also have too many predators to allow mine to free range, but added a fence and overhead protection to allow my gals daily pretend ranging and they love it.

Some folks disapprove, but I scramble extra eggs and give them to my flock as treats, they love them.

Back
Top Bottom