Hello from Upstate South Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RowanTheRed, Apr 20, 2017.

1. RowanTheRed

RowanTheRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    Good morning all. Finally have a chance to introduce myself after joining BYC earlier in the week.

I am a woman with many faces: mother, grandmother, gardener, photographer, NICU nurse and now mother to 8 young chicks (1 week to about 4 weeks in age). I grew up in the country part of central Florida with chickens, cows, horses and an occasional pig. I have been in the Greenville area of SC now for 20 years.

We have been talking about getting chickens to add to our family for about 3 years or so and finally took the plunge a week and a half ago. We started with 2 brown leghorns and 2 golden comets that we picked up at a local feed store. They looked to be about 2 - weeks when we got them. Yes they had much younger chicks, but something about these older girls just called to me. Well after a week, I went to a local chicken farm / breeder and picked up 4 one day old peeps. I got a lavender Ameraucana, a splash Orpington, a silver laced Cochin and an Easter egger. I am having a fun time getting them set up with a big run and hopefully a coop as well very soon. For now, the big girls get to go out to the run during the daytime when I am at home and can keep an eye out for them and the wee peeps sadly hang out in their own pen inside the house where they are safe and sound.

2. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Antreville,SC.

3. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Many faces indeed.

To be a NICU nurse would be hard at times. I could not
    do that. Photographer, or gardener, I could do that,

What do you photograph? Not Spooks...we cant be seen.

I could do a garden I think. If I could get somebody to dig
    it up, then somebody to plant it. I could watch that.

A full plate and now you bring chickens. Nerves of steel.
    But you'll enjoy it.

Glad you found time to stop by.

Spook

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. RowanTheRed

Apr 15, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina

Being a NICU nurse is much like taking care of very sick barely hatched peeps. Some of the babies ive cared for were less then a pound, others have been HUGE at 13 pounds and 6 weeks early! Each has their own unique set of needs and problems. Watching them grow and thrive into healthy babies is like watching baby chicks grow into healthy independent chickens.

As far as what i photograph, well the answeer is what ever catches my eye. I used to have a studio and did people, but a divorce forced me to close up shop. Now i photograph mostly nature and anything i find interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gardening keeps me grounded, I now do all raised beds so it's much easier than when we used to till up a plot. I grow lots of veggies I can put up. So tomatoes, cukes, beans and root vegetables.

Thank you, I've already been checking out much of that asks it's been very helpful indeed

Thanks for the welcome. I had to look up where Antreville is, about 2 hours from me

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Welcome to the flock!

8. RowanTheRed

Apr 15, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    @drumstick diva @theoldchick

Thank you very much for the welcome

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under RowanTheRed [​IMG] Welcome!

Beautiful pics!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

10. RowanTheRed

Apr 15, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina

Thank you very much. I will certainly add some photos of my girls vey soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by