Hello from Utah, new to chicken-keeping!

harpchick

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Utah
Hi friends!

I am getting ready to keep my first chickens this year. Our house is on just over 1/2 acre in a rural residential zone that allows poultry, and I'm excited that this year things seem to be coming together to make actually getting the chickens pretty realistic.

I am picking up an old 4x8 playhouse that soemone nearby was getting rid of, and I plan to convert it to a coop using thegardencoop.com plan as an inspiration. I also have a co-worker who raises Rhode Island Reds and will get my chicks from him as soon as the coop is ready.

The neighbors are chicken friendly, too -- one is also keeping chickens now, and the other has in the past -- and they don't mind if we let our chickens free range during the day and happen to wander past the fence.

We otherwise have our hands full with expanding the garden (going from 300-600 sq ft.) and caring for the mini-orchard (16 fruit and nut trees + 13 grapevines) we are planting this year. Oh, and we are first time parents of a beautiful 6 month old baby!

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the coop gets underway and the chicks come home.

--Jennifer

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom